Platforms: iPad/iPad mini/iPhone/iPod touch and Android tablets/phones
Goal Areas: Reading Comprehension, Cognitive-Communication, Auditory Comprehension, Inferences, Main Idea, Memory for Details
Helps: Aphasia, Brain Injury, Stroke, Autism, Language Delay or Disorder
Contains: 200+ Passages in 3 Levels of Difficulty
Price: $24.99 USD
These are practice activities that are similar to real-life reading needs. They are graded by reading level and length into 3 levels of difficulty, paired with increasingly difficult questions. The questions give insight into comprehension, memory, and inferencing abilities. The tools available for each passage allow users to listen, get support for individual words, or listen sentence-by-sentence for increased processing time. A self-monitoring prompt after each passage encourages users to monitor their own comprehension with strategies for improving it. All of these parts of the app (highlighting, audio support, self-monitoring, questions, etc) are researched and clinically-useful techniques for improving reading comprehension.
Watter, K., Copley, A., & Finch, E. (2017). Discourse level reading comprehension interventions following acquired brain injury: a systematic review. Disability and rehabilitation, 39(4), 315-337.
Watter, K., Copley, A., & Finch, E. (2016). Treating reading comprehension deficits in sub-acute brain injury rehabilitation: Identifying clinical practice and management. Journal of communication disorders, 64, 110-132.
Feb 20, 2018 Version 1.02
- Now Available on Google Play for Android!
- Bug & typo fixes
Jan 10, 2018 Version 1.01
- Double the content! Nearly 100 brand new stories for a total of over 200!
- New categories include: History, Funny but True, Arts & Entertainment, and Functional Passages
- New “Randomize Order” switch on passage selection screen to mix things up
- Improved text-to-speech pronunciation of unique words
- Word counts added to passage selection screen and email reports
- iPhone layouts added to make the app Universal for iOS
- Various bug fixes and improvements
- Lite version now available to try for free!
Nov 7, 2017 Advanced Reading Therapy Initial Release on iPad